Oh, how I’ve missed that skin-crawling theme music. FINALLY, the first teaser for AHS: Coven is here!
Here’s what we know so far about the third installment of American Horror Story:
- It’s about witches.
- It takes place in New Orleans, where many fled to escape the Salem trials.
- Our two leading ladies (Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson) play mother and daughter.
- Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett have joined the cast, completing the foursome of main characters. They are also welcoming Patti LuPone and Gabourey Sidibe to the cast. Girl power!
- Not everyone will play a witch. Much like the who-is-or-isn’t-a-ghost guessing game from season 1, we will be left to determine who is magical, who isn’t, and who is using their power for good or evil.
- There will finally be some levity to the thrills and chills. Executive Producer Tim Minear told E! that this season is “a drama, but there is a lot of humor. We are embracing a kind of velocity and fun with the series … this is going to be the most friendly place for women on television this year. Friendly, until we do the things we do.”
- The plot will, to some extent, serve as a metaphor for minority oppression.
- The showrunners are modeling some of the characters after real historical figures, such as Paulson’s Cordelia (think King Lear) and Bates’ LaLaurie.
- It will pass between time periods, which has become a trend in the series.
- Stop holding your breath for a standard season length—Lange confirmed a count of only 12 episodes.
- October cannot get here fast enough.
After the creep factor of season 1 and the sheer terror of season 2, Coven has a lot to live up to. But I think we know better by now than to doubt the brilliant mind of Ryan Murphy. And as the teasers start rolling in (last year’s Asylum had at least a dozen by the time the premiere aired), I can only imagine the sneak peeks we’re going to get into this wicked new world.
P.S. Inquiring minds, it doesn’t matter if you didn’t watch season 1 or 2. AHS is an anthology, which means a fresh story with new characters each season. It’s not too late to get scared! FYI, season 1 is now streaming on Netflix.